Blackberries (and blackberry picking) take me right back to when I was a boy. My Dad used to take my sister and I to secret picking spots (usually his workplace in Hainault) to stock up on baskets of plump, juicy blackberries. I seem to remember he wanted them for making wine with those dodgy old 80’s wine making kits, and we wanted them to scoff and invariably ruin our clothes with purple stains for Mum to try and wash! Can’t say I enjoyed the scratched arms and legs, but maybe dodging the thorns was all part of the fun?!
Blackberries have a real natural affinity with apples, think apple and blackberry pie/crumble/muffins/cake – or in this case, a scrummy OO recipe. The grated apple provides all the natural sweetness in this recipe, so no need to add honey or maple syrup to this one. If you’re grating onto a chopping board, just make sure it wasn’t used that night for chopping up spring onions. That’s a mistake I’ve made on more than one occasion, and one you don’t find out until the next morning when you tuck into your OO’s!
Health benefits: leave the skin on the grated apple; it contains lots of added nutrients not found within the main fruit. For example, triterpenoids and anti-oxidants. Antioxidants help to protect your heart through prevention of polyunsaturated fat oxidation – something that can increase your risk of heart disease.
Apple and Blackberry Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup (heaped) organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup of grated apple (core removed, skin on)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl until thoroughly blended
- Mix in all the dry ingredients
- Spoon into jars with a tight fitting lid
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating
Vegan Hacks: substitute Greek yoghurt with a vegan yoghurt alternative
Make it Gluten Free: use gluten free rolled oats.
Serving Size 275mL
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.8 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.8 g
Cholesterol 6.4 mg
Sodium 81.4 mg
Total Carbohydrates 24.4 g
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 8.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.