Raspberries pair very well with a number of other fruits, as well as various spices and herbs. This recipe pairs them with lemon, a natural marriage for the raspberry, and one that works very nicely in this overnight oats recipe. As with more and more fruits, fresh raspberries are readily available everywhere these days, and at all times of the year. Raspberry and lemon overnight oats are one of the quicker/simpler recipes to throw together when you’re in a rush, and with sweetness of raspberries works with the sharpness of the lemons; if you prefer things a little sweeter, you can always add in a little honey.
Raspberries are naturally rich in vitamins C and B, manganese, copper, iron, folic acid and fibre; around 20% of the berry’s weight is fibre. Raspberries also contain the highest anti-oxidant concentration amongst all fruits. Anti-oxidants can help to protect your body against the ravages caused by ageing and cancer causing free radicals.
Raspberries are highly perishable and susceptible to mould. When buying, look for plump, dark red berries, avoiding any that look soft or mushy. When you buy a fresh pack, give them a quick once over and immediately discard any that look mouldy to preserve the others from spoiling. Always try to use within a couple of days for best results.
In the morning before serving, I simply top the OO’s with a few more fresh raspberries and grate some fresh lemon zest to really zing it up a notch.
Raspberry and Lemon Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup (heaped) organic rolled oats
- 2/3 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax meal
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 0-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (to taste)
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl until thoroughly blended
- Mix in all the dry ingredients
- Spoon into jars with a tight fitting lid
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating
- Grate extra lemon zest on top for added zing!
Vegan Hacks: use either maple/agave syrup or stevia according to taste. Substitute Greek yoghurt with a vegan yoghurt alternative.
Make it Gluten Free: use gluten free rolled oats.
Serving Size 290mL
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.9 g
Saturated Fat 2.3 g
Unsaturated Fat 5.8 g
Cholesterol 6.4 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.6 g
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 8.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.