Apple and cinnamon have always paired well (think apple pie), and with this recipe, I love the bulk, natural sweetness and crunch that the grated apple has when mixed with the creaminess of the oats. I have suggested you use a generous 1/2 a cup of grated apple (roughly 1 apple’s worth). Use whatever apples you prefer, it really doesn’t matter, both red and green work really well, and it’s a great way to use up any apples that have just been sitting there lonely in the fruit bowl!
If you’re a lover of cinnamon (like I am), then I’ve recommended you use 1/2 a teaspoon, but if you only like it in moderation, put in 1/4 teaspoon. Don’t leave it out though, I promise you it won’t overpower the recipe!
When it comes to the nut butter, Pip ‘n Nut do a great range of nut butters. If you’re UK based, you may have seen them in places like Sainsbury’s. I don’t think they’re the best for spreading on toast, but they are perfect for putting into recipes, and they come in a whole host of natural flavours (almond butter, cashew butter etc.). As always, there’s enough for 2 generous servings, but if you have any left over, have a cheeky couple of spoons to yourself 😉 Personally, I don’t think you need any added sweetness in this at all, but feel free to pop in the usual as per recipe card.
Apple Cinnamon and Nut Butter Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flax meal
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 red apple, grated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tbsp nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut etc.)
- 0 to 2 tbsp honey
- Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl until thoroughly blended
- Mix in all the dry ingredients
- Spoon into jars with a tight fitting lid
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating
Vegan Hacks: Use either maple/agave syrup, or stevia according to taste. Substitute Greek yoghurt for a vegan yoghurt alternative.
Make it Gluten Free: use gluten free rolled oats.
Serving Size 275mL
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10.5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Unsaturated Fat 7.3 g
Cholesterol 6.4 mg
Sodium 55.2 mg
Total Carbohydrates 41.4 g
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
Sugars 20.9 g
Protein 9.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.